Homes + Buildings St Mary's Church
Back to search results 


Copyright: Frank Walsh
Image Size: 3264 x 2448    Uploaded on: 01/09/2006
County: Westmeath   Rating: 


Licence: Creative Commons Licence



This church marks the site of the medieval parish church. The present church was built in the 1820s to replace an earlier structure (of 1622) of which only the free-standing bell-tower survives. Inside the church are several relics of old Athlone. These include the mearing stone which stood in the middle of the Elizabethan bridge marking the boundary between Westmeath and Roscommon. Also a number of fine memorial tablets were salvaged from the earlier church and re-erected here.


view original size
add to lightbox
print image
send to a friend
save image