Dept of Environment, Heritage & Local Govt
800 x 608 Uploaded on:
County: Sligo Rating:
View all comments...
Sligo Abbey, a ruined abbey in Sligo, (officially called the Dominican Friary of Sligo) was originally built in 1253 by the order of Maurice Fitzgerald, the Baron of Offaly. It was destroyed in 1414 by a fire, ravaged during the Tyrone War in 1595 and once more in 1641 during the Ulster Uprising. The friars moved out in the 18th century, but Lord Palmerston restored the Abbey in the 1850s. Currently, it is open to the public.