Towns + cities Sligo Town Hall
Back to search results 


Copyright: Karin
Image Size: 1200 x 900    Uploaded on: 30/08/2006
County: Sligo   Rating: 


Licence: Creative Commons Licence



Sligo Town Hall was designed by the Dublin architect William Hague and the foundation stone was laid in 1865. The building is of a modern Italian Rennaisance style and has a double faced frontage with dressings of limestone and with freestone which came from Mountcharles, Co. Donegal. The caps of the shafts and the spandrils of the window arches are of Portland stone. The Harbour Commissioners had the Clock Tower erected separately. The Clock Tower afforded the Harbour Master an impressive view of the harbour so as to monitor the progress of shipping entering and leaving the harbour. The Town Hall underwent an extensive restoration programme in 1998.


view original size
add to lightbox
print image
send to a friend
save image